Product Review: Truth or Dare: A Game of Passion by Thrusti, Kicki, Grabbi; Illustrations by Kyle Spencer
Remember when we were kids sitting around the campfire, or at a birthday party, or curled up in flannel pajamas under the comforter with a flashlight? Remember the games we’d play? Seven Minutes in Heaven and Spin the Bottle and Truth or Dare…
We’d drag the boys into the game and help our friends out by making the boy they were crushing on the hardest kiss them on the cheek, or hold their hand for five minutes, or dance with them. Or if it was just us girls, there would be plenty of phone calls made that night. Mom would often have to kick us off the phone around midnight, and then deal with angry calls from parents in the morning.
The box it comes in is absolutely adorable. It’s made of glossy pink and red puffy cardboard with the silhouette of a man on his hands and knees and his partner sitting on his back, a hairbrush ready for spanking in one hand. The hinged lid opens to reveal two decks of playing cards, a single die and the directions printed plainly underneath the top.
The deck on the left is marked “Truth” and features a silhouette of a woman standing over a man and holding on to a necktie or something around his neck. The deck on the right is marked “Dare” and depicts the silhouette of what appears to be a feminine arm holding a lacy bra. The die in the middle has two sides marked “Truth”, two marked “Dare” and two marked “WILD”. Under each deck and the lid there are short strips of bluish-white ribbon to make extraction of the decks and the opening of the lid easier. I thought that was a nice touch.
I dunno about you guys, but when it comes to Truth or Dare, I’ve always been the “safe” type. I mean, admitting to something embarrassing is exponentially better than performing some embarrassing act, right? So I was ridiculously excited to see the playing die that chooses which deck you draw from. No safety net in this version of Truth or Dare!
M was immediately interested in what types of dares there were. The cards stuck together a little bit at first, but, after going through them a time or two, they were fine. I bet you can all hear Him in your heads, but I’ll tell you what He said anyway.
“There’re some dares in here that you can’t use.”
“Well, like, there’s at least one talking about being the master.”
I laughed at Him. “You mean that you can’t let me be the boss for five minutes?”
“No, no. That’s not what I meant. But there are things that you know I won’t do. Like, there’s no way I’m licking your asshole. So we’re going to have to set some ground rules when we play.”
I cracked up. As if I’d ever ask Him to perform such a submissive act.
So how does one play?
According to the directions beneath the lid, the hardest part is deciding who goes first. But once you do, that person rolls the die and chooses a card from the deck the die lands on. If it lands on “WILD”, you get to choose which deck to draw from. Then you get to choose whether to follow the card or make your partner follow it!
The Truth deck is a compilation of questions meant to aid partners in getting to know each other better. Things we don’t always think to ask. Questions like:
- What comic book superpower would be the most useful to you in pleasuring your partner? Describe how you would use it.
- Which sexual act do you think is your partner’s favorite to perform? Which do you think is their favorite to have performed on them? Are you right?
- What part of your partner’s body do you find the most erotically fascinating? How did you feel when you first discovered it?
In the Dare deck, you’ll find sexy, harmless pranks, sex acts or activities that may lead to sex acts. For example:
- Call a relative and fit the words “whip,” “suckle,” and “climax” into your conversation. You have a five-minute time limit to complete this dare. Be careful not to call that one relative who keeps you on the phone for an hour!
- Call a 1-800 tech support line for a software company or a major computer manufacturer. When you get an operator on the line, tell them you’re starting a new business and you need software specifically for brothel management. Try to keep them on the line as long as you can. Do your best to keep a straight face. Remember this is serious business, after all!
- This isn’t the hot potato you remember from child hood! Turn your television on and switch to a channel that is broadcasting a commercial. As the commercials play, toss a sex toy back and forth between you and your partner. When the commercials end and the stations programming begins, the person holding the sex toy must use it on themselves until the station breaks for another commercial. Your partner may aid in this task.
But what’s really awesome about this game? Can you say “ice breaker”? I knew you could!
This Truth or Dare game would be an awesome ice breaker at any bachelor/ette party, BDSM play parties, the Fourth of July barbecue… Can you imagine mom’s face when you ask her what kind of porn she would star in or what the most sensitive part of her body is?
I’m actually considering using a couple of the Truth cards as prompts for ye olde blogge, so keep your eyes peeled!
Thanks so much, Good Vibrations, for giving me the opportunity to review this game. I adore it.